Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Schoenrock Cross

Back when we were working on the Value Added QAL I had intended to use the Schoenrock Cross block for my quilt. Due to time restrictions there was no way I could finish the quilt in time. I only got as far as two blocks which was enough for me to know I really want to finish this quilt!

Schoenrock Cross


Who would like a QAL for this one? I thought it might be fun if I do a few posts about the block and different ways to construct it as I work my way through the minimum of 30 blocks I'll need to make a decent sized lap quilt. (but I'm really hoping to make it to 42)
Schoenrock Cross

I'm making 10" blocks using freezer paper templates for the diamond and triangle shapes and rotary cut squares and rectangles. The template can also be used for foundation paper piecing for those of you that prefer that. I plan to do a tutorial for both freezer paper and foundation piecing plus a variation that includes Y seams for the overachievers ;)
Schoenrock Cross

Before we start though I have to be honest, piecing these blocks is rather time consuming and requires a fair amount of patience. If you enjoyed the Farmers Wife blocks, if you like paper piecing or just want a bit of a challenge to start the year off - this is it!
For now I find the slow progress well worth the effort as the blocks are just so pretty and I can picture a quilt in the end that will rock your socks off!

Schoenrock Cross



So far I have only a small head start with four blocks completed, I still need to make the tutorials, and test the templates, make a Flickr group and blog button...well pretty much everything really!

Schoenrock Cross blocks


But I'm excited to get started! So let me know, are you in?


x Leila

31 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! Your blocks are so gorgeous, I definitely want in to the QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so beautiful!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, suckered in again,, these will will be fabulous as a whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are beautiful, Leila, but I'll be watching enviously from afar...paper piecing and I are not friends...I think it has something to do with the word "patience"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, no time at all, but I have to make at least one (and eventually many more). It's honestly one of the most awesome blocks I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to join! But the fabric choice is frightening me... You used such nice fabric, is ir from your stash? Or did you use a fabric line? Any idea how much different prints are required?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely, I would thoroughly enjoy watching from the side lines and maybe finding the time to make one or two. These seem like a welcome challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to work along on this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! The block is amazing, I think I've favorited every one on instagram. I just wish I had your talent with fabric combos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh fun! You know, it would be fun to have a project like this to work on now and then. :)) I'm so lazy though, I'd probably just make enough for a pillow or baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you show 4 blocks put together? I'd love to see the secondary design.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dont know if I'll manage joining in - I'm trying to cut back on my joining in this year!! Such lovely lovely blocks though...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool block! I'm not signing up for the sew along, but I'd love to try at least one block (I'm sure I need another cushion...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow Leila! they are absolutely gorgeous!! Perfect fabric choices. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness!! I would definitely make one block to use on a bag or pouch, more and my head would probably explode!! Gorgeous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I'm in! I like the challenge, and I would need to do it paper pieced. No Y seams for this girl, ever! I am intrigued by your text and ruler prints on these - just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so going to try this one!! Awesome blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are fabulous! They must be difficult, but I'll try one ; )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally keen. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great block Leila, I love each one you have made,

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, please! I love this block, and your fabric selections are totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do please! Love this block and I'm up for something new!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, I'll make one too. I've been planning to make a quilt out of these blocks. Your blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm in! I'd love to follow the foundation piecing tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are lovely, you are using the best fabrics for them too. I am not sure, I will have to see if I make some or not. They are clearly calling me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your blocks are amazing! I want to learn! Don't know if I will get a whole quilt finished but even 4 blocks for a wall hanging would be awesome! Will be following :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't resist a sew along and these blocks are totally beautiful . Your fabric choices perfect too .cant wait . Thank you . xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this block! I'd be excited for a SAL

    ReplyDelete
  29. The block is a beauty ! I might not get a full quilt done but I look forward to making up some of the blocks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day :-)